Cockroaches are amazing creatures, but most homeowners just want them away because of the health and safety risk they represent, to human health. The allergens released by a cockroach infestation can cause allergies and asthma, and that for sure is reason enough to keep them away.
These insects have strange habits, but the fact is, that roaches are very interesting and resilient pests. You don’t have to love them, but you sure can admire their odd behavior and survival tactics.
But to understand why do roaches stay still for so long we need to understand some facts about their anatomy, so keep reading as the answer is right in the corner.
Reasons Why Roaches Stay Still for So Long
- Cockroaches spend nearly 75% of their time in resting mode, and why is that? So they can withstand temperatures cold as 32 degrees Fahrenheit. This is one of the main reasons they stand still so long.
- Another reason why you can catch a cockroach standing still on your kitchen floor is that it is eating. Cockroaches sometimes feed on crumbs that are scattered all over the floor, so if you just eat a chocolate chip cookie and caught roach on the floor, that’s why!
- The way cockroaches communicate with others of the same specie is by detecting odors and movements. Cockroaches are mindful of the movements that surround them, this is why they can detect rodents, cats, all sorts of predators, and people who wish them dead. This is why they stop for a while.
- Roaches may stand still on the ceiling waiting for you to finish your meal, so they can feast later on what’s left on your plate. See this as free cleaning services (huh..).
- It is fairly common to find cockroaches standing still in the kitchen sink, this happens because roaches drink water too! They usually stop there for a quick drink, maybe a nap, and then off they go to another adventure.
- When a cockroach is in discovery mode, it can stand still for a while. They will use their eyes, the pair of hair-covered projections coming out of their back end (called the anal cerci), and their antennae to sense the world surrounding them. This is how they orient themselves (it’s their GPS).
- As mentioned before cockroaches spend a lot of their time resting, if you happen to find one standing still for many many hours, it probably is sleeping, hey, they need beauty sleep too.
Reasons Why People Think Roaches Stay Still for So Long
Cockroaches are amazing pests but humans win the prize right after them. There are so many wild theories out there why people think roaches stay still for so long that it’s really impossible to state them all. Even so, we will list a few of them, just for the gags.
- Cockroaches may be quiet, so they can spy on people, they do find your life amusing (like a reality show)
- As soon as you switch the lights off, the cockroach that is standing still in the corner will “ninjate” you on your forehead.
- They are telepathic creatures, they are trying to hack the right frequency so they can control your mind and actions.
- Cockroaches find humans disgusting, as humans find them as well, they just want to keep their distance from you.
- They are waiting for you to die, so they can eat you.
Other 10 Fun Facts About Cockroaches
Cockroaches will live without food for at least one month.
A cockroach might survive a whole week without its head.
There are 4000 plus different species of cockroaches in the world.
A cockroach may hold its breath for FORTY minutes
Cockroaches are very old, it is estimated that they are 280 million years, from the carboniferous era.
They can be fast as hell, a cockroach can run up to three miles in an hour.
Six inches long is the size of the world’s largest cockroach.
A cockroach can become a full adult within 36 days, talking about some responsibilities here.
They have shown an attraction to alcohol, they like to party it seems.
A newborn cockroach can run as fast as its parents.
Did you know: What do we call a group of cockroaches? 🤯🤯🤯
What to Do if You Find a Cockroach Standing Still for So Long?
This is a subject that may argue some discussions around the world. Some people really don’t mind hanging around with a cockroach in the corner of the room. Usually, they are gone by the morning. But for the safety of your health, it is really advisable to get rid of it.
If you are against killing it, get a large recipient so you can trap the roach inside and then put it outside on the exterior.
Otherwise, just grab some roach spray and spray the hell out of it. The roach will fall to the floor, so don’t forget to clean it afterward, so it won’t attract others.
What It’s Not Advisable to Do to a Roach
If you want to get rid of a cockroach that is standing still for a long time, don’t squash it. First of all, you will stain the surface where the roach is standing, and second, roaches can release eggs while they are being killed. You might end up worsening the situation.
And there you go, now you know why roaches stand still for so long and what to do if they bother you someday.